• Name Atchareeya Jattuporn

week 3 : Material & Modeling

Updated: Sep 29

Continued from last week, I decided to use 3D printing as my tools. I started doing 3D modeling in Vectorworks. This is my first time doing a 3D model. After spending a couple of days learning by doing. Here is the result!


Materials


After decided to use 3D printing, I doing some research about the material. I found sone interesting filament on Amazon such as the wood filament in various colors, stone, glow in the dark, multi-color filament, or glossy filament. I decided to pick 3 different colors to test which is wood, marble, and copper. Unfortunately, the filament is not coming on time so I have to try during the week instead.


Modeling with Vectorworks

The technique I use for modeling is drafting from the 2D sketch. It was quite challenging to sculpt a slightly asymmetrical figure. My favorite tools for doing this model is the subtracted tool, multiple-extrude, and sweep. I spend a lot of time figuring out the logic in the program, how to think in 3D space instead of 2D. After getting the sense of it, it quite fun to do it.


Hardest part

The leg is the most challenging part for me to figure out because it is asymmetrical. After 2 days of exploring, I drew multiple circles as a structure and used a multiple-extrude tool to merge them. I'm not sure if the result will be perfect for printing. However, I'll rely on sandpapers to finish the job.


Future improvement

- Joint

- Magnet on the feet to attach the base.


Here are some useful tutorials.

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBW0_1_AqfiTJz4vBnhnq2A


3D printing First Time!

After finished modeling, I went to ITP to start printing followed ITP 3d printing guide.

In the first attempt, I set the model in a vertical. The 3D printer stuck after printing the base. Paulami, the shop staff, suggested that the base would be too dense. So I decided to change the setting to a horizontal instead.


After 10 hours of printing (estimated time was 6ish hours), I got my figure! In this experiment, I figured out that the size was too big. I should shrink it down by 60%.


After removing the support materials, I found that some details such as fingers or curves were damaged. Ben suggested me to print each part separately and assemble it later. In this case, it would save a lot of time and the piece would be cleaner.


Creating A Base

Another symbol of this modern Thai protest is a plaque. There was a long history of Thai democracy behind this plaque. The design of the plaque is an opensource for designers to play with it. I decided to produce the plaque as the base for my mini protester.

I decided to laser cut it and test with a different color of acrylic but still debating how should I fabricated it.


reference image :

https://www.thejakartapost.com/seasia/2020/09/21/thai-protesters-plaque-challenging-monarchy-removed-from-near-palace.html

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/plaque-symbolizing-thai-democracy-removed-day-73138746

©2019 by AtchareeyaJ. Proudly created with Wix.com